Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Director's Corner by Sandra Collins
Representatives of the 45 public libraries in Allegheny County have spent the last 2 months visiting with our state representatives and state senators to share the following message:
• Libraries received a 21% cut in basic operating funds (State Subsidy for Public Libraries) in 2009-2010.
• Reimbursement for nonresident use (Access PA) was eliminated in 2009-2010.
• Online resources (Power Library) available through both public and school libraries were cut in half. In 2009-2010.
For Northland this meant a loss of $121,000 in direct funding. Countywide the loss in basic operating funds was $1.7 million plus an additional half million in support of the delivery system (how you get items from other county libraries). Add on the loss of electronic resources through and it is clear why libraries have been forced to reduce hours, eliminate staff and cut back on purchasing resources. In Northland’s case, staff benefits were reduced, open positions have not been filled, a hiring freeze is in place and the books and materials budget was cut by 38%.
You can help by contacting your state representative and senator to:
• Advocate for a minimum of level funding in the State Subsidy line.
• Advocate for the restoration of at least $3 million in the Library Access line to restore Power Library resources.
Jane Orie – District 40
La Casa Blanca
9400 McKnight Rd.
Pittsburgh PA 15237
Robert Matzie-District 16 (FP&Ross)
1240 Merchant St.
Ambridge PA 15003
www.pahouse.com/matzie click on “Contact”
Adam Ravenstahl – District 20 (Ross)
3689 California Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
www.pahouse.com/ravenstahl click on “Contact”
Dom Costa – District 21 (Ross)
6808 Greenwood St. Suite 2
Pittsburgh PA 15206
www.pahouse.com/dcosta click on “Contact”
Mike Turzai – District 28 (BW,FP, MAR,MCC)
125 Hillvue Lane
Pittsburgh PA 15237
Randy Vulakovich – District 30 (Ross)
1407 Mt. Royal Blvd.
Glenshaw, PA 15116